Thursday, March 11, 2010

Entry #13 - Wasting Time

"I believe the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time."
--Donald Miller, "Blue Like Jazz"

When I read that statement, something resonated within me. When I think back over the years I wasn't really following God whole-heartedly, I realize that although I had plenty of friends, plenty of money, and was all-around a pretty happy person, I wasn't engaging God; I wasn't making Him part of my everyday life, and in doing so I wasn't walking in the fullness of who He created me to be. I was never depressed, wasn't doing drugs, sleeping around or enticing people to Satan-worship, but I also wasn't building the kingdom of God. Sure, I invited people to church, even sang on the worship team, but I was wasting time. I was not investing in my future, or future-minded at all.

I realize that the enemy had me right where he wanted me. I justified everything I did because it wasn't really "that bad," (like not doing drugs or something crazy), and I actually was involved at church. But there were very specific areas in my life that I would not let God touch. I didn't want to give control over... but that's a whole other blog.

My point is, what are we doing with our time?? Are we just doing the "Christian" thing, and going to church, reading our daily Bible devotions, reciting our prayer lists and staying out of "trouble"? Or are we engaging the Holy Spirit by actively pursuing His word, seeking His face, and getting on our hands and knees (and sometimes faces!) and crying out to God? I grow more in my spiritual walk when I'm consistently (just to clarify - "consistent" doesn't necessarily mean "daily") in the Word, and when I can find quit times with Jesus, than I ever do just going to church.

I regret nothing. Everything I went through made me the person I am today. And I know that God forigves and restores, but it makes me sad to think about all the lives I could have changed or influenced, and the growth I could have achieved had I been serving God whole-heartedly.

My challenge to you is to think about this: which areas of your life do you still have control? We all have at least one.

No comments:

Post a Comment