Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Entry #14 - God... and things.

There is a point when the things you care about in your life can either be aids in your walk with Christ or deterrents. It's a hard question to ask yourself: is this possession/profession/person something that brings glory to God? Does it help me to honor Him, to thank Him for its presence and purpose in my life? Or does it distract me from Him altogether, causing me to miss the gratitude I should be giving? Everything God created is designed for the good of God's kingdom. That includes things that help us or entertain us, the talents we can enjoy and use, the careers and friendships we invest in and help grow... God's heart is pro-creativity.

So where does it all go south?

For me, it was when I forgot that God wanted to be involved. It was as though I decided to pursue this investment, and God was mutually exclusive. My God time and my thing time were two separate entities. Oftentimes, I would ask forgiveness for thinking about this thing too much, and when I was doing my thing, I would feel weird acknowledging God through it all.

Any thoughts of God pervading my thing time or changing my thing time altogether were exciting but unnerving... I wanted God to take part, in fact I wanted God to breathe through it and dwell in it because my thing time brought me happiness. Now, all I needed was for my thing time to bring me joy, as well.

And for that to happen, I knew God's presence was a prerequisite.

It's a thin line between enjoying creation and worshiping it. Make it clear to God that you want to stay on the right side, and He will help you... It might hurt, but He will help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment