Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Entry #15 - Psalm 46:10

"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). This verse is so very popular, and for good reason--what person, particularly a Christian and a lover of God, would not want to go to God and find rest from his stresses? I have heard this verse everywhere, and songs and meditations based on it. Today I found out that "Be still and know that I am God" does not make up the entire verse in which it is found. Here is the full verse of Psalm 46:10--

"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"

Taken in context we see that this verse is not so much about God running His hands through our hair as we disconnect from life while sitting in His lap, as much as it is about God's restraining and sometimes vengeful power over all the armies of the world (vv. 6-9...whom or what does God tell to be still?) and His clear intent to be exalted by people throughout the world (v.10). Quite a different story, isn't it? Different attitude, different focus, different aim. So why does the full verse not appear on coffee mugs, refrigerator magnets, and in songs? Can we not take comfort in the same things in the same way as the psalmist? Do we really believe that every time we read about God's passion to be exalted, and every verse we read from Paul that ends in "to the glory of God", that it is some kind of throw-away phrase? Do we believe that the more important thing is us?

Since listening to men like John Piper and Paul Washer my eyes have been opened to God's passion for His glory as revealed in Scripture. It's astonishing how I would often gloss over these phrases and statements. Not always--I was aware of God's passion for His glory and excited about it myself--especially the revealing of that glory, whether through world evangelism or the return of Christ. What took me much longer (ultimately at the redirection of said preachers) was seeing the preeminence of this passion among all of God's passions.

The Bible's testimony of this is both uncompromising and simple. God is intent on making Himself known, and being exalted throughout the earth. And for me, this is a fortress and a refuge. A mighty fortress is our God.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Kurt. I would add that your comments don't take the comfort out of the verse. How comforting it is to know that our Father in heaven is one who can roll up the armies of the earth by the word of His power. If He is on our side who can be against us. I agree that we tend to focus on what God does for us, rather than why He does it--for His glory.

    ReplyDelete